Tuesday, October 17, 2017

SkoopaTroopa Sings The Blues (Because Nobody Gets Out of Here Without Singing The Blues)

Unpopular opinion : Vincent D'onofrio is, hands down, my favorite Thor. Hands down.

Did I use a thinly veiled "Adventures in Babysitting" reference to post pictures of Vincent D'onofrio? I sure did. Can you blame me? He's wonderful (even if my mom thinks I'm crazy for saying so).

As a child, I WAS Sarah from "Adventures in Babysitting", running around with a Thor helmet--I even lived in the right city, Chicago. Though, my parents would NEVER let a babysitter take me into the city at night. That's just irresponsible.

I had silly plastic Fisher-Price roller skates too, and a sweater that was strikingly similar to the one Sarah wore for the majority of the movie. I'm sure that I have pictures of it somewhere, but it's too late and I am too tired to go digging through my closet to find them.

I would like to give this movie some credit for the way that I developed, but I was a wee tot when it came out and cultivated my love of Thor all by myself. I just found kinship with Sarah when I was old enough to understand the plot of the film, and eventually I connected to Chris instead, but that's all a normal part of growing up, or so I like to believe. The one thing I couldn't connect to was that my truck-driving dad did not have a hook for a hand.

As an adult, my deep love for Thor did not change; it only grew deeper (I ignored that whole time in comic book world where Thor was dead -- we don't talk about the dark days). Did I throw myself a Thor / WWE themed birthday party in my mid-twenties? True. Did my awesome friends show up with Thor masks and Mjolnir replicas (including a movie-quality prop--just for me)? Correct. Did I also, for some reason, run around wearing a WWE belt? Sure did. My life doesn't make sense and it doesn't have to (much like this nonsense midnight post).

So let's bring things full circle. While many other actors have stepped in to play Thor, D'onofrio will always be my favorite. Meow.

Is this post about "Adventures in Babysitting" or Vincent D'onofrio. Only sort of. I just wanted to make sure that everyone understood both my deep love for this film and for D'onofrio. I love him. Even today, love. The man can really beard. And, everyone knows that I love a good beard. Look at it. Love it as I love it.


Now that we've established that, we can move on. Will I be singing any actual blues? That remains to be seen. Depending on how stuffy my nose is when I'm done writing this, you may get something blues-adjacent (or not).

I did write another post, one with a point. It's about being a protagonist, according to the MBTI. I'll eventually post it. For now, all of you lovelies just get my Thor ramblings and  a list of my current favorite songs. You're welcome.
  1. Heartworms - The Shins (I've had a favorite Shins song for over a decade now, but I think it's moved to #2 because I love this song.)
  2. Album of The Year - The Good Life
  3. Sea Legs - The Shins (Not the only repeat artist in my top ten here)
  4. All Fall Down - Matt Skiba & The Sekrets
  5. How The Hell Did We Get Here - Matt Skiba & The Sekrets
  6. Messes - Tim Kasher
  7. That Man - Caro Emerald
  8. Fluorescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys
  9. Leave on The Light - Lucky Boys Confusion
  10. Heart it Races - Dr. Dog
Here's a playlist should you care to listen to it.

It seems you will not get a blues recording right now. But, maybe I'll make one tomorrow. Until then, "Rest well and dream of large women".

No comments:

Post a Comment