Wednesday, November 29, 2017

SkoopaTroopa Does Self-Concepts (Again)

We build out self-concept based on the experiences we have with other people. If we do not communicate, it can be hard to determine what we like and what we dislike. If we do not expose ourselves to media, we don't form preferences. This is all a matter of common sense.

But, we define who we are based on these incidents. A self-concept is a relatively stable set of perceptions that we hold true about ourselves. It is something that doesn't change drastically over time. It helps us to understand who we are as people and it's made up of many many components. Someone with a strong self-concept will usually have strong self-esteem. If you don't know who you are, it's hard to find worth or value in yourself.

However, the self-concept is often something that is difficult to quantify or define. It is usually a complex creature. I've tried several activities with students asking them to create boards or mind-maps or write essays about their own self concepts. But, no activity has been as successful as I'd like it to have been.

So, I want to try something new the next time I get to teach the course. I want my students to come up with a list of fictional characters that they identify with (10, 20, 100, however many they like -- though I'll probably set a minimum at some point). Then, I'll have them analyze how/why they identify with these characters. Why do you connect?

It's my guess that we connect to these fictional characters because they're a reflection of something we see in ourselves. We are, at heart. selfish creatures. We're indulgent.... unless it's just me... it is, isn't it? Ha.

Regardless, I went ahead and did what I'm asking my classes to do... as a test. I invite you to do so as well. If you do, feel free to post it in the comments. At least, it will be an interesting social experiment. At most, it'll help you to understand yourself a little better, right?

  1. April Ludgate - Parks and Rec : I have a sarcasm problem and a fascination with the darker side of life. I am the sort of person who thinks horror movies are, mostly, hilarious. I remember seeing The Ring in theaters with my first college roommate. At the end of the movie *spoiler alert*, when they show you the film itself, I cracked up laughing. The people in front of me turned around and explained why I was a monster for having laughed. Three days later, I got a bloody nose. If you've seen the movie, you'll understand why that's funny. So, I pulled an entire Ring prank on my roommate and had someone call the dorm with the "seven days" shtick. I thought it was hilarious. She did not.
  2. Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus: If you've met me, you'll understand that I am a real-life version of the iconic Miss Frizzle (not to be confused with the new Miss Frizzle). I am off-beat, funny and I find joy in learning. I like to make learning fun, whenever possible, which is hopefully something my students enjoy. Also, I'm a teacher. While I do not teach science, as Miss Frizzle does, I do have a deep respect for it. She and I also have a very similar fashion sense.
  3. Daria - Daria: The teenager in me was this odd combination of Daria and Jane. I was weird. I am weird. I liked things that most people did not. Again, sarcastic. I wasn't great at most sports (but did play some soccer, I like kicking stuff). Ask me to play volley ball and I'll pull a Daria, every time. I love books. I am smart. But, the Jane in me is all sorts of artsy fartsy.
  4. Jessica Day - New Girl: Jess is the second teacher on my list, and there's a reason for that. I am a teacher. But, the reason that I really identify with Jessica Day is because I have the ability to laugh at myself when I'm being awkward, which is often. I am also terribly boy-stupid. I don't realize when men are flirting with me. I don't usually know how to react to it. On a practical level, both Jess and I have masters degrees, enjoy singing instead of speaking, are quirky and play guitar (and by play guitar, I mean jam on some sweet power chords).
  5. The Dread Pirate Roberts - The Princess Bride: I think I am very much the country mouse who went to the big city to try to become something bigger and better than I thought I was. But, along the way, I was distracted by a group of misfits and decided that gaming and drinking and punk rock sounded more fun. However, I never lost sight of the noble quest of bettering myself and being more....just more. I have this sort of save the world complex where I want to help others, even when they so clearly do not want to be helped. And, I fear no rodent. So, I will save you from an ROUS if you need me to. I am always much more Fred Astaire than I ever will be Ginger Rodgers.
  6. Skeeve the Magnificent - Another Fine Myth: This one is easy. I think of myself as a bumbling fool who, for some reason or another, has been put in a position of power. Much like Skeeve, I keep the ruse up. But, fundamentally, I sort of always doubt that the person who gave me power really knew what they were doing. In short, I am a magician posing as a powerful wizard in a world where powerful wizards are plentiful.
  7. Rebecca Bunch - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Singing, again, with the singing. If I could sing my way through life, I would. I also identify with Rebecca because she is very smart, book smart. She, however, lacks the more practical life skills that many people have. I definitely fall into that category. I am lost when it comes to domestic life. I am a buffoon when it comes to romantic entanglements. But, I am a boss when it comes to textbooks and battles of wits.
  8. Elmyra - Tiny Toons: Do I or do I not squish animals into aggressive bear hugs whether or not they want me to? Yes. I do that. Definitely, yes.
  9. Edgar Frog- The Lost Boys: Besides my deep love of a good red bandana and collection of comic books, I have an unhealthy obsession with the "horror" genre. In addition to this, I am not opposed to having an underground vampire hunting gig on the side.
  10. Andie - Pretty in Pink: This one is a little bit more complicated. I can empathize with Andie as I come from humble beginnings and was raised in a single-parent home. I've never been the popular girl. For most of my life, I was rather the opposite. Mostly unnoticed. Mostly without friends, save a few very close ones. I'm less that way today, but only because I found a niche in which I fit, people who made sense to me, and solidarity in being the odd one out. I think Andie would have developed that way too. She was torn over liking the pretty rich boy with the sensitive side. I may have been too. But, I'd have always gone for the Ducky instead. I like a good project, and I love devotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment