Tuesday, June 20, 2017

SkoopaTroopa Studies Film

I just started the Movie unit in my English Composition course. My students were excited to get going because we all have a shared love of film. We started class with a video on why we, as humans, love film. We also watched the first few videos in a set on film history; it's actually pretty interesting stuff.

The goal of the unit is to take films that you (we) love and look at them from a critical perspective, to analyze WHY we love certain films. The first thing I've asked students to do is make a list of their five favorite movies (or five movies that they love; realistically I don't have a top five; I've got a top 150, maybe more).

I always write a list  and share it with my students. This particular group and I seem to have similar taste in films. I even garnered the response, "You know, if I wasn't in this class and you weren't my teacher, I think we could be best friends." Yay me.

So, here's my list. Take it for what you will. What are your favorites? Feel free to comment below. I'm always looking for something new to watch.
  1. Labyrinth
    • This movie paired three of my favorite things, David Bowie, muppets and singing. The premise of having this entire Goblin Kingdom where bad children were sent was, for me, always entertaining. But, really, this movie instilled in me values that I hold dear to this very day. It emphasizes the idea of friendship and how friends are there for you when you need them, even when you feel like you're alone. It also explores the idea of power. The Goblin King wields it. Though, in the end, it is the teenage girl who triumphs. So, it is also maybe an early symbol of "girl power".
  2. Legend
    • I have always gravitated toward fantasy. This movie, while hokey, does a beautiful job of showing the stark contrast between good and evil. The set, characters, colors and design really emphasize the light and the darkness that exists in the world. I also think that Tim Curry's iconic portrayal of "Darkness" is something that many other films have drawn from. I would not have loved the movie as much if someone other than Tim Curry were to have played the part.
  3. The Dark Crystal
    • This is another exploration of good and evil, and it uses Hensen puppetry to bring it to life. The thing that I find most alluring about this film is the premise that it sets forth about good and evil. In the film, the two species (Skeksis and Mystics) are at war with one another, as good and evil might be. But, the two species were, at one point, one entity. So, they are the physical embodiment of the ideas of good and evil. In the end, they are put back together to form a single species. The idea that we are all good and evil, that we need both parts to remain balanced, is one that I always found alluring. I also think there is a great deal of truth to it.
  4. Army of Darkness
    • This is not a serious movie. It isn't a good movie. It is a campy piece of non-sense. Is there a logical reason for liking it? Maybe. I enjoy the stupid humor. I enjoy Bruce Campbell. I enjoy the horrible special effects. The movie has epic and memorable one-liners. There is no deep and meaningful reason that I love this film.
  5. The Princess Bride
    • This, to me, has everything that a movie should have. It has sword fights, giants, pirates, evil princes, poison, horse riding, giant rodents, and a love story. I think this movie is timeless and that it has something that everyone can enjoy. There is a fair amount of action. There is a good deal of romance. There are odd characters and several side plots. We can all connect to this movie; we can all relate to it. The softie in me loves this idea of love conquering all. The tomboy in me appreciates that it is done with sarcasm, sword fighting and questing. It is a wonderfully acted film based on a beautifully written book. For most book to film movies, I am always disappointed. I find something lacking. This film, while different, didn't suffer such an ill fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment