Wednesday, November 1, 2017

SkoopaTroopa is The Protagnoist

There all are sorts of personality type indicators out there. I'm sure you've all been forced to take one at some point or another. Most of the time, I think they're garbage. Some come back with results that I just can't connect to. Some come back with very vague results.

"Do you know someone who died? YES! I do! How did you know? Do you own a red thing? OMG, I so do... you're freaking me out now."

And, realistically, I can't do anything with that type of made up drivel that corporations go nuts over. Let's put everyone in a box! Essentially they do the exact thing we ask people not to do; they stereotype us based on what's most obvious about our personalities. Realistically, we're much more than that -- and the "data" is fairly useless.

Other times, the results are spot on. Though, I'm pretty certain this is just a coincidence, or perhaps I want to connect to results that I like instead of ones I don't like. I'm not sure. I also fail to see how to utilize the results, even the ones I like, in any meaningful way. Yes, I might have those characteristics, but I already knew that. Why does it matter? I cannot realistically apply what I find out unless I know everyone else's personality, how they work or do not work with mine, and how to connect all of that to real life -- and that sounds utterly exhausting.

The MBTI personality indicator, and I've taken it multiple times with the same results, always labels me "The Protagonist". This is something that other people see in me, probably more than I see in myself. Essentially, the protagonist is a passionate and charismatic leader; I'm too humble to cop to something like that. But, I'm told I'm a Protagonist (like a mother fucker).

Again, though, this is simply a crude generalization. So what, many people are charismatic leaders? Does that mean they're all "Protagonists"? The data says, "no".  Only 2.5% of test takers fall into the "Protagonist" category. That data would mean more to me if I knew how many people had taken the test in the first place, how long the data had been collected and how often it is updated.... but I don't know those things (see what I've been saying about meaningless data). So, perhaps the type is more common than we know? Perhaps you don't care?

John Cusack is a "Protagonist". So, that's all I really need to know. We're pretty much the same person; I always suspected as much. I'll just go ahead and trust the results based on my most favorite fallacy, argumentum ad verecundiam. What, don't act like you don't have a favorite fallacy! Judge much?

Here are the main characteristics of a "Protagonist":
  • Strong personality
  • Authentic
  • Concerned
  • Altruistic
  • Unafraid to speak up or stand up for themselves
  • Strong communicators
  • Intuitive
  • Reflective / Analytical
  • Vulnerable
  • Emotional Hypochondriacs (I don't even know what that means, but I'm certain that I am one. I have to be.)
Am I these things? No, really, am I?

But, when the results get into the particulars of relationships, friendships, and careers, I do see how I fit in much better. In the world of love and heartache, I tend to choose people that I see potential in. I've never casually dated and I take things very slow. My needs tend to be fairly simple. I'm happy if the other person is happy. If not, I will do anything in  my power to help that person get where they need to be. I like to be in charge; I also like to avoid conflict, sometimes sacrificing some of my personal values in the process. The bad thing is that I don't address something until it hits the boiling point. All of these things are true. I don't think knowing or understanding them will fundamentally change me in any remarkable way.

I enjoy getting to know other people. I can be diplomatic. But, mostly, I have a "save the world" complex. I want everyone to do well and to be okay. So, I try to do whatever I can to make sure that happens. But, I get upset if people don't let me help. I get frustrated when people don't help themselves. I see it as a personal failure, when realistically, I know that it is not. I'm not sure if this also makes me an enabler or not? Probably, yes.

As the remarkably talented LBC says,

"Oh, gee, what is it tonight?
At least just tell me what the hell is wrong,
Do you want to eat, do you want to sleep, do you want to drown?
Just settle down, settle down, settle down...

I'll give you give candy, give you diamonds, give you pills,
Give you anything you want, hundred dollar bills,
I'll even let you watch the shows you want to see,
Just marry me, marry me, marry me...

I'm so sick of you tonight,
You never stay awake when I get home,
Is something wrong with me, something wrong with you?
I really wish I knew, wish I knew, wish I knew..." (Pandav, 2006).

Maybe Kaustubh Pandav is also a protagonist?

Moving on, it's natural that this desire to help people spills over into my career. I am a professor, and I don't do it for the pay check (that would be silly). I do it because I am in love with the moment that I can see someone understand something new. That light bulb gives me the drive to keep doing what I'm doing. And, I didn't have to be a teacher. I could have gone into any number of other fields. I chose to be here. Some days I regret that decision because the politics and limitations of the position eat at me, and I think that I only stay because I get to see that moment happen, over and over.

Whether or not I am actually a Protagonist, I don't know. Maybe you do. Maybe you can see it in me where I cannot see it in myself. Or, perhaps I'm not a Protagonist. Or, maybe the entire test is B.S. just like the other tests that I so loathe. Do I need a test to understand who I am as a person? Some days, I really think I do. Other days, I am so sure I know who I am that I'd never think of questioning it.

I don't quite know why we have so many of these personality type indicators. I'm still not sure what the point is. I don't know how they're valuable. Again, none of this is really important. I just felt like typing it all down. You're welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment